Friday, November 19, 2021

Maps, Re-Revisited

So for the last few months, I've been doing more revisions to my fantasy setting. One of the things I'm trying to do going forward is make myself less reliant on computers, because RPGs have always been a way for me to step away from the computer, television, smartphone, refrigerator, etc.

One of the things I'm doing is remaking the maps of my setting, plotting them out on standard square graph paper. (I've actually been doing this for over a year now, since I haven't had much else to do aside from work.) Despite my admiration for hexes aesthetically and mathematically, the square is much simpler; plus, it would be extremely easy to transfer to video-game form if that flight of fancy ever takes off.

To that end, the other night I decided to brute-force it by making dozens of squares on Google Drawings, and arranging them in a grid. This is a lot more tedious than, say, Hexographer, but it allows me to work on the maps whether I'm at home or at the library, due to the cloud access. I've finished a topographical map already, but it took me less than five minutes to copy and change it to a political one. Each square is 24 miles to a side; I'll post some pics of my digital and penciled topo maps once I have more time.

Pink: Principality of Le'var. Green: Kingdom of Duemerus.
Yellow: Principality of Tadea. (Blue is water, orange is lava.)

In other news, I've been reconsidering a lot of my gaming interests, which coincides with one of my partners gaining interest in running a game. The V5 version of the World of Darkness is pretty well put together, though sadly I missed the opportunity to back the new Mind's Eye Theatre book. And the more I read of Tunnels & Trolls (5th Edition, for those keeping track), the more I like its approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment