Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sradan, the Lizard-Rogue of Golarion

When I decided that I wanted to be a player in the Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box, rather than the GM as I had been since the beginning, I wanted to play an unusual character. Our group already had a fighter, a wizard, and a cleric (two clerics, if you count the person who was going to GM for the time being), so I figured a rogue would be in order, as the barbarian class presented in the Beginner Box Player Pack didn't interest me in the slightest.

I didn't want to limit myself to just a human, elf, or dwarf, though. The Beginner Box GM Kit had creature stats for the lizardfolk, and I happened to find a neat Pathfinder mini of one of these guys online. After some tweaking with the numbers, I presented my character sheet to the GM; comparing it with the stats of the rest of our party, and noticing that lizardfolk are typically (True) Neutral, he allowed it. I named my guy Sradan, after a character from a long-forgotten fragment of an RPG Maker 3 creation.

The "Lizardfolk Champion" mini I used. (Note: that's not how you use a trident.)

Here's where things get interesting. The reason lizardfolk tend not to get along well with humans and demi-humans in D&D/Pathfinder is due to their cannibalistic tendencies. I decided to role-play this to the hilt, forgoing standard rations in favor of skinning and roasting the corpses of enemies.

And the best part? One of the other players - the only one who I still have as a player on occasion - is an ethical vegetarian. It got to the point where I would lightly poke fun at her by describing in gory detail how my character would consume his defeated enemies, and asking the GM which parts of different monsters were the best to eat.

And yet, this was still in keeping with True Neutral alignment; Sradan never killed innocent people to eat them, after all.

Maybe one day, I'll bring him back in some form, if I can ever get someone "normal" to DM/GM for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment